The e-tef Canada – Test d’Evaluation de Français adapté au Canada – is a French language test approved by “Citizenship and Immigration Canada (CIC)” for people aspiring to immigrate to Canada including Quebec. It assess comprehension and expression skills in French. It gives a quantitative and qualitative measure of the level of candidate’s linguistic and communication skills. It offers a detailed and personalized analysis of results.
The e-tef Canada includes 4 compulsory sections:
- Written comprehension: 60 min – 50 questions
- Oral comprehension (Listening): 40 min – 60 questions
- Written expression: 60 min – 2 topics to cover
- Oral expression: 15 min – 2 topics to cover
* These sections are done online, using a computer. Hence working knowledge of computers is needed. All four section are held on the same day.
Attestation of results
The results of the e-tef Canada will be announced in about 4 weeks (approx.) after the exam by e-mail. The results will be made available in the form of an e-version of the certificate, no hard copy will be made available.
The attestation of results of the e-tef Canada:
- is usually delivered 4 to 5 weeks after the test.
- is not a diploma and cannot be considered as a proof of success.
- shows the distribution of scores obtained in each of the sections, offers detailed comments on the skills and places your level on a scale from <A1** (Beginner) to C2** (Mastery). For more info, visit Citizenship and Immigration Canada (CIC)
- is valid for 2 years.
** For further information about levels (A1, A2, B1, B2, etc.), please check our General French Course structure.
Fees and Registration
e-tef Canada, 4 sections are compulsory, total fees is INR 18,500 + GST (18%)
The fees might be subject to change without prior notice. No refund / transfer of fee is possible once the registrations have been closed.
○ Download the Registration form
○ Print, fill in and sign the form (pls do not paste the photo on the form)
○ If you can come to the Alliance Française of Madras, bring your form along with 1 passport size photo, a self attested copy of your passport and your payment (by Cash, Credit Card or Local Bank Cheque payable to Alliance Française of Madras)
○ If you cannot come to the Alliance Française of Madras, send the hard copy of your form along with 1 passport size photo, a self attested copy of your passport to Alliance Française of Madras (24 College Road, Nungambakkam, Chennai 600006) and your payment by Bank transfer :
A/c Name : Alliance Francaise of Madras
A/c type : Savings
Bank Name: ICICI Bank
A/c Number : 000901108959
IFSC Code : ICIC0000009
Branch : Nungambakkam Branch
A/c. Name : Alliance Française of Madras
A/C type : Savings
A/C Number : 09088 060003 025 44
IFSC Code : BNPA0009088
Bank details : BNP PARIBAS
Branch : Chennai Branch
or by using the UPI QR Code on the left
For payment done through online transfer, please send the Bank Acknowledgement to our Accountant at [email protected] You will receive an email confirmation only on receipt of the bank acknowledgement.
Only 15 seats per session, on a first registered first-served basis.
For 2020, only one session open to registration : 23 & 24 November 2020 (registration completed)
We are extending and conducting the exam on the 25th of November 2020 (registration completed)
All slots for the November session are full. Kindly keep checking our webpage for future exam dates.
The Alliance Française of Madras will send you a confirmation of registration and a hall ticket by e-mail. Applications for registration after the deadline will not be accepted.
Preparing for the test
○ The Alliance Française of Madras does not organize any specific preparation courses for e-tef Canada General French classes are strongly recommended.
○ To discover and get trained to the exam, you can use the free online resources offered by the Chamber of Commerce and Industry of Paris:
Exam samples (check at the bottom of the page, in the “Modalités” section)
“Manuel du candidat” (Candidate Guidebook)
Training app “français 3.0” for Androïd and Ipad/Iphone
Training tutorials for listening and speaking sections
Exercises to develop similar skills online on Radio France Internationale RFI or TV5Monde
○ You can also purchase the following official textbooks for preparation from Goyal Saab or Langers‘ showrooms:
Title: Test d’évaluation de français, Publisher: Hachette livre – Français langue étrangère
Title: TEF (test d’évaluation de français) – 250 activités, Publisher: CLE International
For further details
91 44 2827 9803 / 2827 1477 ; coursecounsellor[at]af-madras.org
General condition of TEF can be downloaded here