The e-TEF Canada – Test d’Evaluation de Français adapté au Canada – is a French language test approved by “Citizenship and Immigration Canada (CIC)” for people aspiring to immigrate to Canada including Quebec.
It assesses comprehension and expression skills in French. It gives a quantitative and qualitative measure of the level of candidate’s linguistic and communication skills. It offers a detailed and personalized analysis of results.
The e-TEF Canada includes 4 compulsory sections:
- Written Comprehension (1 hour)*
- Listening Comprehension (40 mins)*
- Written Expression (1 hour)
- Oral Expression (15 mins)
* These sections are done online, using a computer. Hence knowledge of use of the mouse is imperative.
Attestation of results
The attestation of results of the e-TEF Canada:
- is usually delivered 4 to 5 weeks after the exam date.
- is not a diploma and cannot be considered as a proof of success.
- shows the distribution of scores obtained in each of the sections, offers detailed comments on the skills and places your level on a scale from <A1** (Beginner) to C2** (Mastery). For more info, visit Citizenship and Immigration Canada (CIC)
- is valid for 2 years.
** For further information about levels (A1, A2, B2, etc.), please check our General French Course structure.
e-TEF Canada fees***:
*** These fees might be subject to change without prior notice.
Schedule for 2018
- Refer to the schedule of the next examination sessions (take care to register before the deadline)
- Download the Registration form
- Print, fill in and sign the form (pls do not paste the photo on the form)
- If you can come to the Alliance Française of Madras, bring your form along with 1 passport size photo, a self attested copy of your passport and your payment (by Cash, Credit Card or Local Bank Cheque payable to Alliance Française of Madras)
- If you cannot come to the Alliance Française of Madras, send the hard copy of your form along with 1 passport size photo, a self attested copy of your passport to Alliance Française of Madras (24 College Road, Nungambakkam, Chennai 600006) and your payment by Bank transfer :
A/c Name : Alliance Francaise of Madras
A/c type : Savings
Bank Name: ICICI Bank
A/c Number : 000901108959
IFSC Code : ICIC0000009
Branch : Nungambakkam Branch
A/c. Name : Alliance Française of Madras
A/C type : Savings
A/C Number : 09088 060003 025 44
IFSC Code : BNPA0009088
Bank details : BNP PARIBAS
Branch : Chennai Branch
For payment done through online transfer, please send the Bank Acknowledgement to our Accountant at firstname.lastname@example.org. You will receive an email confirmation only on receipt of the bank acknowledgement.
The Alliance Française of Madras will send you a confirmation of registration and a hall ticket by e-mail. Applications for registration after the deadline will not be accepted.
Preparing the exam
- The Alliance Française of Madras does not organize any specific preparation courses for e-TEF Canada. General French classes are strongly recommended.
- To discover and get trained to the exam, you can use the free online resources offered by the Chamber of Commerce and Industry of Paris:
- You can also purchase the following official textbooks for preparation from Goyal Saab or Langers‘ showrooms:
- Title: Test d’évaluation de français
Publisher: Hachette livre – Français langue étrangère
- Title: TEF (test d’évaluation de français) – 250 activités
Publisher: CLE International
After the exam
The results of the e-TEF Canada will be announced about one to two weeks after the exam by e-mail. The official e-TEF Canada certificates can be collected at the Alliance Française of Madras about a month after the exam.
For further details