The e-TEF Canada – Test d’Evaluation de Français adapté au Canada – is a French language test approved by “Citizenship and Immigration Canada (CIC)” for people aspiring to immigrate to Canada including Quebec.
It assesses comprehension and expression skills in French. It gives a quantitative and qualitative measure of the level of candidate’s linguistic and communication skills. It offers a detailed and personalized analysis of results.
The e-TEF Canada includes 4 compulsory sections:
- Written Comprehension (1 hour)*
- Listening Comprehension (40 mins)*
- Written Expression (1 hour)
- Oral Expression (15 mins)
* These sections are done online, using a computer. Hence knowledge of use of the mouse is imperative.
Attestation of results
The attestation of results of the e-TEF Canada:
- is usually delivered 4 to 5 weeks after the exam date.
- is not a diploma and cannot be considered as a proof of success.
- shows the distribution of scores obtained in each of the sections, offers detailed comments on the skills and places your level on a scale from <A1** (Beginner) to C2** (Mastery). Please note that :
- any result below the level B2** will not be taken into consideration by Citizenship and Immigration Canada (CIC) if you have chosen French as your “First official spoken Language” in your immigration application.
- any result below the level B1** will not be taken into consideration by Citizenship and Immigration Canada (CIC) if you have chosen French as your “Second official spoken Language” in your immigration application.
- is valid for 2 years.
** For further information about levels (A1, A2, B2, etc.), please check our General French Course structure.
e-TEF Canada fees***:
*** These fees might be subject to change without prior notice.
- Refer to the schedule of the next examination sessions (take care to register before the deadline)
- Download the Registration form
- Print, fill in and sign the form
- If you can come at Alliance française of Madras, bring your form along with your payment by cash, Credit card or local Bank cheque payable to Alliance Française of Madras.
- If you cannot come at Alliance française of Madras, send your form to Alliance Française of Madras (24 College Road, Nungambakkam, Chennai 600006) and your payment by Bank transfer:
A/C type: Savings
A/C Number: 09088 060003 025 44
IFSC Code: BNPA0009088
Code SWIFT: BNPAINBBCHE
Bank details: BNP PARIBAS – Prince Towers, 3rd Floor – 25/26, College Road – Chennai 600006
Bank Code: 034
Branch Code: 002
The Alliance Française of Madras will send you a confirmation of registration and a hall ticket by e-mail. Applications for registration after the deadline will not be accepted.
Preparing the exam
- The Alliance Française of Madras does not organize any specific preparation courses for e-TEF Canada. General French classes are strongly recommended.
- To discover and get trained to the exam, you can use the free online resources offered by the Chamber of Commerce and Industry of Paris:
- You can also purchase the following official textbooks for preparation from Goyal Saab or Langers‘ showrooms:
- Title: Test d’évaluation de français
Publisher: Hachette livre – Français langue étrangère
- Title: TEF (test d’évaluation de français) – 250 activités
Publisher: CLE International
After the exam
The results of the e-TEF Canada will be announced about one to two weeks after the exam by e-mail. The official e-TEF Canada certificates can be collected at the Alliance Française of Madras about a month after the exam. In case you want to receive your certificate at home by DHL, you will be charged extra Rs. 500/-.
For further details
Share article on