The e-tef Canada – Test d’Evaluation de Français adapté au Canada – is a French language test approved by “Citizenship and Immigration Canada (CIC)” for people aspiring to immigrate to Canada including Quebec. It assess comprehension and expression skills in French. It gives a quantitative and qualitative measure of the level of candidate’s linguistic and communication skills. It offers a detailed and personalized analysis of results.
The e-tef Canada includes 4 compulsory sections:
- Written comprehension: 60 min – 50 questions
- Oral comprehension (Listening): 40 min – 60 questions
- Written expression: 60 min – 2 topics to cover
- Oral expression: 15 min – 2 topics to cover
* These sections are done online, using a computer. Hence working knowledge of computers is needed. All four section are held on the same day.
Attestation of results
The results of the e-tef Canada will be announced in about 4 weeks (approx.) after the exam by e-mail. The results will be made available in the form of an e-version of the certificate, no hard copy will be made available.
The attestation of results of the e-tef Canada:
- is usually delivered 4 to 5 weeks after the test.
- is not a diploma and cannot be considered as a proof of success.
- shows the distribution of scores obtained in each of the sections, offers detailed comments on the skills and places your level on a scale from <A1** (Beginner) to C2** (Mastery). For more info, visit Citizenship and Immigration Canada (CIC)
- is valid for 2 years.
** For further information about levels (A1, A2, B1, B2, etc.), please check our General French Course structure.
Fees and Registration
e-tef Canada, 4 sections are compulsory, total fees is INR 18,500 + GST (18%)
The fees might be subject to change without prior notice. No refund / transfer of fee is possible once the registrations have been closed.
○ Download the Registration form
○ Print, fill in and sign the form (Pls do not paste the photo on the form)
○ If you can come to the Alliance Française of Madras, bring your form along with 1 passport size photo, a self attested copy of your passport and your payment (by Cash, Credit Card or Local Bank Cheque payable to Alliance Française of Madras)
○ If you cannot come to the Alliance Française of Madras, send the hard copy of your form along with 1 passport size photo, a self attested copy of your passport to Alliance Française of Madras (24 College Road, Nungambakkam, Chennai 600006) and your payment by Bank transfer :
A/c Name : Alliance Francaise of Madras
A/c type : Savings
Bank Name: ICICI Bank
A/c Number : 000901108959
IFSC Code : ICIC0000009
Branch : Nungambakkam Branch
A/c. Name : Alliance Française of Madras
A/C type : Savings
A/C Number : 09088 060003 025 44
IFSC Code : BNPA0009088
Bank details : BNP PARIBAS
Branch : Chennai Branch
or by using the UPI QR Code on the left
For payment done through online transfer, please send the Bank Acknowledgement to our Accountant at [email protected] You will receive an email confirmation only on receipt of the bank acknowledgement.
The Alliance Française of Madras will send you a confirmation of registration and a hall ticket by e-mail. Applications for registration after the deadline will not be accepted.
Preparing for the test
○ The Alliance Française of Madras does not organize any specific preparation courses for e-tef Canada General French classes are strongly recommended.
○ To discover and get trained to the exam, you can use the free online resources offered by the Chamber of Commerce and Industry of Paris:
Exam samples (check at the bottom of the page, in the “Modalités” section)
“Manuel du candidat” (Candidate Guidebook)
Training app “français 3.0” for Androïd and Ipad/Iphone
Training tutorials for listening and speaking sections
Exercises to develop similar skills online on Radio France Internationale RFI or TV5Monde
○ You can also purchase the following official textbooks for preparation from Goyal Saab or Langers‘ showrooms:
Title: Test d’évaluation de français, Publisher: Hachette livre – Français langue étrangère
Title: TEF (test d’évaluation de français) – 250 activités, Publisher: CLE International
For further details
91 44 2827 9803 / 2827 1477 ; coursecounsellor[at]af-madras.org
General condition of TEF can be downloaded here